Sunday, June 6, 2010

Duke's Lounge

At Duke’s Lounge, a small cafe in Randwick, you are greeted by friendly service and a casual no fuss eating area. The menus are presented on landscape paper, protected by a plastic sleeve and most prices are decent value.


Unfortunately the limited weekend breakfast menu didn’t offer much in the way of vegetarian options but the accommodating staff were able to custom make my guest some toasted Turkish bread with ricotta and tomato - $4.50. I chose the Eggs Benedict from the menu - $10.50 and was presented with two pieces of Turkish toast, two poached eggs, rocket, thinly sliced ham and generous dollops of hollandaise. The food was prepared fresh and the servings weren’t overbearing as is the case with some cafes.


Duke’s Lounge is one of the nicer looking cafes in Randwick and the obliging staff, checking to see if we’d like another coffee, or anything else, without being too ‘in your face’ made the cafe pleasant to sit in and chat.


One of the most important things about any cafe is its quality of coffee, which my guest assured me was very good. I, myself opted for the hot chocolate, which was perhaps on the smaller side for $4.00 but nice, warm and chocolately!


Background music complements the airy cafe, which is great for a casual breakfast or lunch. The lunch menu includes burgers and Thai food, and after 6pm, Duke’s Lounge is transformed into a Thai restaurant.


A lovely little place, great for regulars, locals and anyone wanting to duck in off the street for a casual bite to eat or warm cup of coffee.


Located:153 Avoca Street Randwick

Breakfast: $9.00-$14.50




Duke's Lounge - Restaurant on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. As a self-confessed coffee snob, I'd have to say that Duke's Lounge is up there with the best of them. The owner/barista is passionate about his coffee and it shows.

    I don't get out to the eastern suburbs as much as I'd like, but when I do, I'm always sure to pay a visit to Duke's Lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tried cappuccino this morning and was quite good as well as the mocha. coffees were perhaps a little on the small side though. breakfast was quite nice too :-)

    ReplyDelete