Saturday, May 15, 2010

African Queen

African cuisine is new to me so I'm intrigued when invited out to African Queen in Marrickville for a birthday dinner.

It wasn't a birthday of someone I knew personally so I was unsure if we had a restaurant booking or how many people were coming. When we arrived at 7pm it was evident the host was equally unaware! The restaurant was possibly the smallest I've seen with around eight tables of two-four spread around the counter.

We were seated by the very friendly host (and only person in the restaurant at this point) and handed menus. I was curious as to why there was pen writing next to some dishes saying 'couscous' or '1'. I later found out that the host took orders using one of the menus and wrote down how many of each dish was required next to the name of the dish itself! Interesting idea but perhaps a felt tip marker would be a smarter choice as this can be wiped off!

The rest of our party arrived between 7 and 7:30 and we ordered at 7:30. I had read reviews of African Queen, being unfamiliar with how an African restaurant worked (whether dishes were individually ordered or shared). Through my research I learnt that this place was known for it's excellent food but recognised as having slow service. I did not expect it to be this slow! Our entrées did not arrive until after 9pm!

After much confusion with the menu (dishes were explained in terms of what they were served with but not what they actually were ie chicken, lamb, fish etc) my partner and I ordered the Ontoko Wings (chicken wings) for an entrée and the chicken soup and safari beef for mains with a side of Foofoo.

The rest of the party ordered the mixed entrée (enough for five). Five mixed entrees arrived with our chicken wings! Whilst my partner loved the chicken wings, I took the wing without the lumps of sauce and so felt it left a lot to be desired in the taste department. The savoury banana on the mixed entrée (the excess of plates meant there was enough for me to try!) was yummy and the sweet potato was fab!



It wasn't until after 10pm that our main courses arrived. Unfortunately each plate arrived separately with large gaps in the middle. By the time most of us had finished eating, the last plate still hadn't arrived. So the slow service reviews were not kidding! The chicken soup was filled with chicken pieces which was great but the vegetables (broccoli and carrot) sitting on top were stone cold, which led me to believe they came from the freezer. The soup itself was mild and tasted wonderful with a bit of foofoo. Three or four spoonfuls was enough to get over it though; so perhaps sharing mains is the best option for African cuisine.



The safari beef arrived later and it was at this point I realised that African cuisine was not for me. I was somewhat unimpressed with the 'house speciality'. The dish consisted of small pieces of beef and some mixed vegetables sitting on a bed of couscous. The flavour wasn't amazing. Again, I had had enough of it after two or so spoons.



By this point it was quite late for a Thursday evening and we headed off without dessert. I can now say I've sampled African cuisine. Perhaps I shan't have it again but luckily for me there are a multitude of other cuisines to sample!

African Queen on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Oh what a shame about that meal. I've had African cuisine a couple of times but never heard of this place. If anything it has a good name :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately we got them on a bad night, & worse than usual in terms of service. I think it pays to book - tho of course you shouldn't have to, to get good service. Also she does tone the sopices down a bit too much. But please don't give up on African food on the basis of one meal - it's so diverse & there are many delicious meals to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a one woman show with authentic food straight outta Sierra leonne. Tis true the order takes a little while to get to the table but with a bit of love and support of this unique eating house, African queen stands to be a gem of marrickville - Don't be perturbed people!

    ReplyDelete