Friday, April 9, 2010

Din Tai Fung




After my initial encounter with Din Tai Fung over a year ago, I went back today and am glad I did!

My first trip with Jenna resulted in neither of being very impressed. Due to dietary restrictions we were unable to sample anything with pork (which is most of their range) and so missed out on the great things they had to offer and instead sampled the mediocre dishes and couldn't quite understand what all the fuss was about!

Working across the road from World Square enables me to try a large variety of take away foods on my lunch break. For months I've been trying to convince the office to get lunch from Din Tai Fung, their great reviews still appearing all over the place. Today the office (comprising of Chris) gave in!

Luckily we had a 'buy one basket receive a complimentary basket' voucher and so two baskets of dumplings cost us only $10.80.

We chose the pork dumplings and the pork and shrimp dumplings.
The latter was unusual as most Asian cuisines use prawn as opposed to shrimp but this truly was shrimp (bait like). Nevertheless, they were fantastic!

The case was smooth and light, not too chewy or sticky and inside the casing was a small amount of soup with the pork/pork and shrimp.

With a tad of soya sauce, the taste was incredible and the dumpling melted in the mouth.

I preferred the pork and shrimp whilst 'the office' preferred the pork.

Successful lunch!

Phoning and placing the order, I was able to avoid the often lengthy queue outside the restaurant and instead waiting 10 minutes, walked in, paid and picked up the order.

Without the voucher Din Tai Fung is quite pricey as there are only 6-8 dumplings in the box for $10.80 but with a voucher...excellent!

1 comment:

  1. They're fantastic dumplings aren't they! And I bet your dining partner was glad they agreed to go! :D

    ReplyDelete